Monday 10 November 2014

21 Dealing with dementia

On my visit today I was greeted with"I have decided I am not staying here"well that was nothing new. "Why was that?" I asked, so then she launches into a horrific story as to what had happened last night."Well you must have been dreaming and had a nightmare" I said but that was fiercely denied. You know it could not possibly be true yet it sets up a niggle that perhaps 1% of it might have happened because they are still very sensitive to carers body language and attitude. After asking the carers what had happened it emerged that they had caught her trying to get out again so today she was back on Risperidone. "Another place won't be any better" I said
She then said two things that undoubtedly were true for her ? "It's frightening!"and "It's horrible!"

Dementia is truly a dreadful condition and she certainly suffered from it while she was with us. Men getting into her bed, children looking in the window,an old lady sitting in the corner and I found the crazy conversations very waring. We feel sad that things are not happier and you wonder if you should have persevered abit longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment