Tuesday 14 October 2014

18. Six weeks on

The first two weeks are the worst I was told, but I can tell you that is not true. Six weeks on and Mum has been truly dreadful. It began on Sunday when I got a call at two in the afternoon that they couldn't settle her. She was being disruptive, going into other peoples rooms and was wanting to go ! I said I was coming in anyway so went abit earlier and sat with her for three hours when she never stopped talking once mostly rubbish going back to Hailsham Road her childhood home in Liverpool which she wanted to sell , followed by all her real estate philosophy as to how it was better to let the place go cheap to get rid of it.I sat there and made few comments.I did say to the nurse on duty that I wondered if the medication they were giving her was hyping her up as she never paused for breath.

Monday I did not go but got a call from the lovely Mark. "This is not an urgent phone call"he said but I was pretty sure that it was to say she would be better downstairs in the dementia unit. Tuesday (today) I went in taking some nice afternoon tea and found her sitting asleep in the corner sitting area. I did not wake her but when she did awake we went and had our cup of tea. From then onwards she put on an Oscar winning performance about not staying and how I had turned against her etc which of course I took no notice of. "She only wanted a quiet life "she said "Well you can have that here"I said but of course it did not placate her, infact anything I said produced more and more fury and tears so that in the end I felt she was just doing it all because she had an audience Me! So I said "I seemed to be upsetting her so I would go and hope she was more cheerful the next time I came"

Bob is investigating a cruise holiday out of Fremantle and I must say I feel it may be a good thing, perhaps she will settle down but I could do with a psychologist to tell me how to handle these difficult behaviours. No it is not pleasant to see her upset like this ,but it is really of her own making.

No comments:

Post a Comment